It was built in the 7th century BC on the spot where an older church was standing. It was built as a reminder of Agia Sofia church in Istanbul and also became a mosque during the Ottoman Empire.
The base of the minaret that was added at that time is still visible in the church’s yard. The church was destroyed by fire in 1890 and severely damaged by the great fire of 1917 but restored every time. It stands on a much lower level from the road because the Great fire of 1917 vanished the biggest part of the city center and the new structures were built on top of the ruins, lifting the road level to where it is today.
Inside the church there are some engraved religious images from the 8th, 9th and 11th century.